Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Getting Settled

Well, we arrived Sunday evening around 6:30 p.m. and finally on Wednesday around 5:30 p.m. we have internet. We are addicts to it and I confess that without a phone on the premises and no internet we have felt very cut off from the world. Some times that feels good (right, Jake?) and sometimes you want to let the people you love know that you are alive. So far, the main culture shock has just been inconvenience. We Americans are so spoiled in this way-I had no idea how much so! You ask a question about when you'll have a phone, when will the internet work, etc and they say, oh i don't know. i guess that I'm going to have to die to some of my obsession with efficiency (that will bring joy to some of you and sorrow to others :0)

Tuesday night we met a neighbor, Jing Lu (NOT Irish :0) who was kind enough to let us use his phone to call the states-a quick call to my mom who called a few others-hopefully most of you worried ones got the word. Being in Jing's apartment led to a discussion of his being a beginner guitar player, to Blayne teaching him a little, to us being invited to his place for delicious Chinese food tonight. 5 neighbors and Blayne & I gathered in their cozy apartment around a table for 4 and ate a Chinese food feast-even some tripe was on the table. We did not expect our cultural experience to extend beyond Ireland. But here in our complex we've met Germans, Spanish, Chinese & of course, Irish.

We've mostly just been getting settled and getting necessities, though we did head into Limerick city yesterday (10 minute bus ride away) and wandered around town into St. Mary's cathedral, built in 1138. It is still surreal that we are in IRELAND!! What the heck? The rolling green hills & the river Shannon are right next to the University. It is beautiful. And our place is simple, small & clean. It's a simple life so far, maybe it will stay that way, but you know me.

Blayne's orientation for his program begins tomorrow, so we'll get the tour of campus, get to sign up for clubs (me too..I've already asked and I can join the outdoor society....I can't let my climbing shoes & harness go unused since I brought them all this way.) It's good to be in touch with the world again. Hope that you're all doing very well. And love you lots!

PS...CHECK OUT BLAYNE'S BLOG (link on the right sidebar) FOR PICS OF THE MOSTLY FINISHED KITCHEN IN THE LOFT!!

4 Comments:

Blogger mel said...

HEY! You are on the same service I am!
I have to say I was one that was crying when you gave your comment about efficency. Come on Deborah that goes along with driving righteousness.

I am glad you are settling in. You and Blayne are both missed dearly and I have been praying for you both.

You can delete those annoying ads. I get them too. It is like SPAM on your BLOG!

Look forward to reading more. I'll send a shopping list soon ALONG with WILL FERRELL!!!

3:24 PM  
Blogger Red said...

Hey guys,

so glad you are there safely! We miss you, of course, and we checked Blayne's blog and the kitchen is BEAUTIFUL! can't wait to see it in person.

I'm glad you're doing this, it'll be a cheaper way to k.i.t. with you while you're away. Do you guys have a webcam? just curious.

anyway, love you both!!
red

3:58 PM  
Blogger SC Wheeler said...

okay, the fact that you have a phone AND internet service less than a week after you arrived in a foreign is a huge miracle!!

Also, I love your address. It just sounds cool to have Limerick on your mail! :)

Have fun settling in. Send pictures of your home and your neighborhood when you can.

6:59 AM  
Blogger The Asian Sensation said...

There are chinese people in ireland?!?!?! is it like mexicans in greeley?!?!?! HAHAHAHA. you don't know how much trouble i went thru just to obtain a blogger to reply my comment about how chinese people are the COOLEST!!!

much love!!

9:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home