Thursday, October 06, 2005

A Fine Day

Here's making up for the pictures that I've not put up. I went to town today. The sun peaked out for a bit today which brightened my spirits. I don't realize how much I miss the sun until it shows up after being obscured by clouds for more than 3 days. This is King John's Castle in downtown Limerick.

This is the start of my walk along the river Shannon. There's so many swans and ducks & and I think I rambled on in a previous post how beautiful it is out there. So, now you can see some for yourself. When the sun in shining on the hills in the distance it's over- whelming how bright GREEN it is. "Verdant meadows, woodlands pleasant" comes to mind from a madrigal I learned in high school.

I'm sitting on the wall of the church ruin here looking out across the graveyard, which amazingly is still in use. There are a couple of recent tombstones and the earliest one that I could read was from the early 1700s. It's ideal for reflection. I've always liked to walk and reflect in graveyards. To think of how precious and brief life is, to read the inscriptions and think of the people who lived, laughed, wept, struggled and loved who are now gone. And to think of what is to come. There was an inscription on a tombstone in a churchyard in Williamsburg, VA that always moved me deeply. I'll see if I can't find it and share it with you.

Well, I'm going to see Pride & Prejudice tonight with three girls that are all masters students at UL. One is in Blayne's program and the others are doing the ethnomusicology masters. I'll let you know how it goes. Though one of the girls only wants to go to make fun of Kiera Knightly, and I want to give it a chance. I just can't imagine that it will hold a candle to the A&E/BBC one. Alright, enough rambling for now. Blayne and I are going for a walk. Lots of Love!

2 Comments:

Blogger mel said...

Deborah,
It is beautiful! The castle...wow. Thank you so much for the pictures.

It is looking like January for me. :)

And you know that there will never be another Mr. Darcy.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Red said...

So beautiful. great pics...thanks. :) Can't wait to see it in person. I can definitely see how the graveyard could bring about reflection and peace. It seems so tranquil there wihc such a unique beauty. Thank you for sharing.

Hope you have fun at the movies tonight.

love you!
Red

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home