Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Fierce & Beautiful

Well, Saturday it was sunny, as in mostly sunny. After we went to the market Blayne needed to practice and I was inspired to get out into the countryside. So, I set off to the spectacular Cliffs of Moher (sounds like mower) since the last time we were there is was cloudy, cold & so windy I didn't want to venture far. I wanted to go back and do more exploring.

Since I'm limited to five pictures per post, I tried to pick the ones that told the story best. I hiked along the top of the cliffs to the north of the touristy area where it's walled off and everyone snaps their photos & goes on their way. But there is a well worn path for the more adventurous just past the wall. I walked to the north and saw people out on a large ledge and went there and laid on my belly, scooted to the edge & just peeked my head over. The wind coming up the 650 foot cliff was blasting! This picture is of the water puddled at the cliff top instead of dripping down, it's being blown straight up. And the next picture is one that I took while looking down the cliff edge to the water. The other folks on the cliff with me were hollering as they hung their heads over. I was just grinning...thinking how incredible it would be to rappel down this face on a calm day. It was inspiring and terrifying all at the same time. I was thinking how my mom would be FREAKING out if she saw me :0)


Looking from the top of cliffs, the first light colored layer of stone is the one (you can sort of see it in the near part of the pictures) that I was laying on and looking out over the sea.

I had optimistically brought my journal, but the wind gusts discouraged my using it. It was not a time for peaceful reflection, while the cliffs were beautiful, there were too fierce and dangerous to inspire less than awe and wonder.

So, this is the very windblown me after an hour and a half out on the cliffs. It was a stunning day, and I'm so glad I was able to be out there. Grey days continue to abound, though tomorrow is suppposed to be sunny, and Blayne has the day off. Oh, check out his blog...he's updated it. Right now he's having classes with Kevin Crawford...a ninja flute player. And I just temporarily gave up housecleaning to update my blog. I've been a bit under the weather the past two days, so sorry It's been a bit since I've posted. I do think of you often even as I make new friends here.

One more thing...I've been spending time getting ready for a European trip with my parents. They're coming in November, and other than travelling around Ireland for a bit, I just bought our tickets to go to Paris, Geneva, Rome & London. I'm VERY excited about it. More on that later! Love you all!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Deb-

My name is Calee Lee and Mary Beth Molnar sent me to your blog. My husband runs an organization that helps churches in Ireland (http://www.buildchurches.org ) We'll be back in Ireland in a couple of weeks and would love to meet you while we're over there. As you continue in your quest for a church, we may be able to help. Anyhow, it's always great to connect with other Americans living in Ireland. My email is Calee at Buildchurches.org (hiding from spam spiders...) I hope your time is going well and it would be great to connect with you and your husband.

10:23 AM  
Blogger The Asian Sensation said...

oh me goodness! those photos are AWESOME!!! kathy is jealous. i want to explore with you. is that the sun shining on your face? wow. speaking of weather, i walked outside this morning and thought i might needed something with long sleeves! whoa! :)

11:44 AM  
Blogger mel said...

That is beautiful. THOUGH, we DO need to see a Blayne pose at the cliffs. :)

2:52 PM  
Blogger Red said...

Looks beautiful...I can't wait! :)

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deborah it looks as if ya'll are having such a good. time...I guess it is a good thing I dind't blow up DIA ;)!! I can't tell you how mhuch you are truly missed. I really enjoy knowing how all are doing thank you soo much for keeping this blog and up to date... You Rock
Have a wonerful time...Counting the days...245....til you return
RET

10:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

incredible, incredible pictures of incredible places that I am so glad you are getting to see. But I'm with your mom - "stay away from the edges!!"
Jean

9:08 PM  
Blogger The Asian Sensation said...

JUMP, DEB, JUMP!!! no, no, i mean RAPEL!!!!!!!! just make shift a harness, you always did for me...

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home