Sunday, October 16, 2005

Our First Month

So hard to believe we've been here a month already. It's now 7 months & 27 days until we return home. This ruin is along the river walk by the university...there are some old stairs that go up inside, and since I saw some people on the top of it the other day, I'm determined to climb up there some time. It's so crazy how history is just around every corner that the locals hardly take note of it.

This is Lough (say lock) Derg just west of Killaloe. I walked out to the graves of the lienstermen the other day. The sun was shining so I took off in the car after I dropped Blayne off and drove onto some lovely single lane roads with grass in the middle that were off the map and eventually made it to my destination. It was (as you can see) absolutely gorgeous! Then I came home and read about the leinstermen & why they were buried there and such. History is around every corner, but as i mentioned before they don't make all of it very accessible. So, if you want to know more about that just ask me. I will tell you that after reading that history I had strange dreams. Blayne said I woke him up talking in my sleep :0). Those Irish & Vikings were some crazy folks, but I guess not much more so than others around 1000 AD.

I had to take this picture, because I miss my dog so much and I was driving along after my walk to the graves and there on the wall on the side of the road is this cute dog. There are so many small dogs around here. On a recent hike up into the Galtee Mountains from the Glen of Aherlow we met a woman with three sheep dogs. Have I mentioned that I MISS DARCY DOG? :0) Though, Jen I appreciate the updates.

We've had so many late nights with so many amazing people. The other day during the market outside a coffee shop Blayne played with a LEGEND in Irish music who's been an instrumental part of the scene since the 1960s. And he played an incredible flute duet in Ennis the other night at Paddy Quinn's Pub. In the program itself there are at least 3 players that are rediculously amazing musicians already. On last Wednesday night we hung out with Christy Lehey (one of the best button accordian players in Ireland) and his roommate Owen (no slouch himself) and they wanted to hear US play "old time" music. It is a surreal life we are living. While I miss home and my dear friends & family VERY MUCH I am able to remind myself that I have an incredible opportunity to take advantage of here in this foreign land.

I've been learning a bit of Irish history. I think that's one way that I'll be spending my time. I joined the city library and checked out some books and I'm researching places online too. The heritage is so rich and its depth in recorded history is vast, not to mention all the prehistoric artifacts and ruins that can be discovered. In short, I'm going to do my best to make the most of my time here by learning enough to bore you all with stories of Irish history-except maybe Libby & Tim since they have a higher tolerance for that sort of thing. :0)

Well, it's late and after a glass of wine with new friends at a local pub I am very tired. I deeply wish I could share this more with all of you. Let me assert (and I really mean this) If you can come and visit us, DO please. Day trips from here only cost gas & we can picnic lunch. You can see so many amazing things within a 2 hour drive from Limerick. And how often do you get an offer of free accommodations in Ireland? Those of you that are planning a visit, we can't wait to see you. And if you're considering....go for it, just let me know when you want to come. Love you all!

6 Comments:

Blogger The Asian Sensation said...

i want to come visit....

5:11 PM  
Blogger Red said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:16 PM  
Blogger Red said...

we will of course be there in feb! :)

sounds like you are really enjoying yourself. I think of all this time your spending "finding" stuff as research so you'll be prepared with all the best stuff when we come out to visit. :)

love you!
red

ps-I bought a bike with my birthday money and i love it! We thought of you when we went riding yesterday because without riding your bike on our trek to Greeley, David would never have known how comfortable riding a bike could be and we wouldn't have had such a wonderful afternoon. It's been in the upper 60s low 70s lately...very un-hotlanta, and very beautiful. We've been enjoying it with much outdoor activity. :)

7:17 PM  
Blogger mel said...

deborah you are missed dearly. i am glad you are finding things that interest you and are taking advantage of what opportunities you have out there.

when i do make it out there. he he
you can take me to all the fun historic sites. :) that would be great!

i love you and miss you bunches...it was actually good to 'talk' to you today. *hugs*

10:31 AM  
Blogger The Asian Sensation said...

i checked out plane ticket prices. were looking at prices in the $900's. i don't think i'll have enough pennies by then, unless i sit on the sit of the street with a cup asking for donations. so i guess it's a lost cause... boo hoo *weep, weep*...

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I SO love to read your posts, but goodness, I miss you. It's strange, because really we haven't been able to see each other all that often anyway, but it seems different now somehow - you being on another continent and all... ;-)Wish so much I could visit you there. I am a HUGE fan of Diana Gabaldon and though her series focuses on Scotland, I can't wait for you to "bore" us with what you are learning about Ireland. Much love to you.

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home