Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Halloween Scottish style?

I'm sorry there's no pictures, but I promise I will put them up as soon as Becky sends them to me. It's been a good and full week. We went to Sligo this past weekend for a music festival. We heard less music than we'd hoped. The pubs were so packed that there wasn't even any standing room near the musicians. But we were with Irish people all weekend, which was a hoot. The pubs close around 1:30 am on the weekends, and we thought we were heading home, but no! There are local clubs which somehow get a "late" license. But you will never know about these if you're not a local. You walk up to a door and hit the bell, they look through a camera & if they recognize you, you get buzzed in. So, here we are with 4 locals walking into a surreal world of local gossip, lots of late night drinking and chatting and we were there til 4am. The Irish love to laugh and love to stay up late with friends. On Sunday we drove around the area. Sligo is between the sea & a beautiful lake surrounded by mountains. It's not a shabby view.

On Monday I went with three friends out to the Burren & the Cliffs of Moher then we stopped off a the sea town of Lahinch for a cup of tea. Then for Halloween night we got together with a few friends, carved pumpkins and then Ailey, our Scottish friend led us in three games. We bobbed for apples, pretty normal, that was right after we ate syrup covered donuts hanging from a string and then (without wiping our faces) stuck our faces into flour to fish out 5 peices of candy. It was highly entertaining.

I know this is brief, but my parents are coming tomorrow (YEAH!) so I knew it might be a bit before I will blog again. We'll tour around Ireland a bit over the next couple of days, have a low-key weekend here in Limerick and then head off on our European adventure on Monday. First Paris then on to Geneva, then to Rome and finally to London. I'm looking forward to the time with my parents & the chance to explore such incredible places. Well, for once I have to make an early start. My parents get in at 7:30 am. Ouch! So, I'm calling it a night. Lots of love to you all!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure you will be getting some pics from our st. pat halloween party cause you were greatly missed and so pics were taken with you in mind. Have soooo much fun with your mom and dad.

8:44 PM  
Blogger David and Natalie Mash said...

Hey Deborah,
It is so fun to read your updates. I am very happy that you are having such a splendid time and getting to know each other better. David tried to send an e-mail to your account but it was rejected, I am not sure why. It is a little to long to put on the blog though. We are applying for passports this week, so we will be able to come visit in the spring. Only four weeks left until baby Mash is scheduled to arrive. We will tell him/her all about you two and show pictures. We miss you! Love, The Mashes

8:45 PM  
Blogger The Asian Sensation said...

can we re-enact the honey donut and flour candy business when you get back? :)

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home