Saturday, November 12, 2005

My Fabulous Overnight Stay in Geneva Hospital

Yep, that's right, I just got back to the hotel after a 22 hour stay. Let me e'splain, no, it's too long, let me sum up...
Yesterday morning I woke up itching all over and discovered all along my waist and shoulders & neck & scalp bumps that looked like they might have been bites. Momma & Daddy are saying bedbugs since they just saw this show about a resurgence of them in the states. I'm used to odd physical problems, so i get ready for the day and we head off to Chamonix, a town about 40 miles from here at the foot of Mont Blanc. We took a cable car from Chamonix at 3,400 to an observatory at 12,000 feet looking out over 15,780 foot Mt. Blanc. C'est incroyable! I wanted to follow some of the folks that rode up the tram with their crampons and ice axes or the ones with the para-gliders, jumping off there and going all the way down to Chamonix. So, it was a beautiful morning.

But, as the day progressed I became more uncomfortable and we found a pharmacist who sold us generic zyrtec over the counter. he said i should go see someone about it. The bus ride back was miserable for me and on our return to town we walked right to the hospital where they put me on an iv. at this point all the little bumps had become large masses of welts. They were itching and burning like CRAZY! (this is where I'll start the sum up part). After a drip of anti-histimines the reaction was still spreading so they said they needed to observe me over night and gave me a prednazone. Still not better (though at least able to sleep a little) at 1am so get more anti-histimines in IV, finally get about 4 hours of sleep. Wake up and feel better then over next two hours much worse with trouble breathing. Get new injections in IV finally start feeling better after another pill of something to help with itching this afternoon. Still itching now but not stuck in hospital ward where everyone (nice as they were) is speaking french and no magazines in english. I bet I have some pretty funny misinterpretations about Hollywood Gossip right now :0) What started it? Theories are that its a med I took right after I got here and then took another course of because the symptoms had come back. I was taking the final pill the day I woke up with the reaction. I haven't eaten anything unrecognizable, but really, who knows what caused it. Hopefully, I'll just get all better from here and we can continue enjoying our trip. Leave it to me-the phisiological wreck-to get hospitalized on vacation. Hopefully word will soon be about what a wonderful time we're having with this long behind us. For now, lots of love to you all and pray for me that I'll wake up with no more reaction. Nite Nite.

5 Comments:

Blogger Hope Foley said...

Okay, so nothing has changed about you since we were children. You know, maybe I'm drawn to people who get strange, unheard of or explained ailments. My friend Mel and my friend Ange do the same thing. Either themselves or someone in their family. You remember, nothing would ever happen to me personnally. That is just so weird. Nice to know you haven't changed.

6:29 AM  
Blogger mel said...

Deborah! Craziness, though...when Jen told me, I actually wasn't too surprised. :/

Praying for you girl.

Loveyou!!

8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope it's gone whatever it was.
We just returned from Philly. I missed you so. remembered many laughs and good times. it was way out at valley forge terrible hotel but conference was much better-thankfully.
have fun with mom and dad.
love you,
jean

8:30 PM  
Blogger Red said...

So glad that you are feeling better!! We're both very relieved that Momma & Daddy are with you even thought I'm sure it was hard for them to see you sick. :( Rome can wait for another day, I'm just grateful you are out of the hospital and we'll be praying that you stay healthy as you venture into London!! Enjoy the rest of your trip!

We love you very much!
Red (& David too)

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do not take Wellbutrin if you are depressed or have suicidal thoughts; or have mania, bipolar disorder, or another psychiatric condition

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home